Remember that a vasectomy is a medical procedure. And although it’s not major, it does require that you pay attention to your body and know that there is a small recovery period that you should be familiar with. Running or working out is definitely not recommended the same day or for the days shortly after. You will want to take care of your body over the next couple of days. Your doctor will give you a list of do’s and don’ts. You also will should have appointments after the initial procedure. So you will want to take them seriously. Most vasectomies go without any hiccups. But you will want to be aware of any warning signs.
Relax after the Appointment at Home
If the physician used any medications then you will want to have someone drive you home. Or you can take an Uber or cab. The medications used should wear off after a couple of hours. If you go with a no-scalpel vasectomy then the time it takes you to recover will be shorter than its traditional counterpart. So prepare to lie down on your couch in your dwelling, apartment or home. Now is the time to watch tv, talk on the phone, or even take a nap.
Here are a few do’s and don’ts to follow
- Don’t get up and move around
- Try not to walk for the next day or two.
- Don’t lift weights or anything that is heavy (the key here is to avoid straining)
- Don’t have sex for at least a week. In fact ask your physician when you can resume sexual activity. Use condoms or other birth control methods. You won’t be sterile immediately and chances are you don’t have to have any more offspring.
- Wear snug briefs or something snug to protect our scrotum
- Don’t shower for a day or two after. This also includes bathing.
- Elevate your feet when possible
When to Call the Doctor
In life things just don’t go as planned. Here are some warning signs you will want to be aware of. If these occur call your doctor
- Your scrotum start to swell. (they will swell a little already, but anything too much should be watched)
- The pain you experience seems to “increase” and it just doesn’t feel right
- You develop a fever
- If you experience drainage
- You experience a growth or you notice black and blue areas
- You believe the area has become infected
Ideal Situation after Procedure
The perfect example would be to stay at your house for a couple days after. A good idea would be to have your vasectomy on a Thursday or Friday assuming you don’t work on the weekends. If you like to exercise, give yourself a week off.
Remember a vasectomy can be reversed. So you can always change your mind afterwards if you intend to have children in the future.